The Diploma in Advanced Software Development is ideal for those who want to enter the IT industry with the broadest career options. This qualification is concerned with the technology in today’s business environment and the potential that programming possesses. This qualification will give you a solid base on which to start your new career in IT.
Please note that this programme will not be available for 2018 enrolments. This programme is being replaced by the New Zealand Diploma in Software Development (L6)
What will I learn?
The skills that you will gain will qualify you for a diverse range of job roles across the IT industry. You will learn all aspects of the IT business system cycle including the analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of systems to increase business efficiencies. In addition, you will learn to design, create, document and implement computer programs in a range of different languages.
Completion of the programme takes the following length of time (approximately):
- Full-time study: up to 15 months
Based on 5 shifts/week on campus of approximately 5 hours/shift + 12.5 hours/week home study
- Part-time study: up to 29 months
Based on a minimum of 13 hours on campus/week + 6.5 hours/week home study. (Note: Part-time study is only available to domestic students).
Duration includes approximately 11 weeks of holidays and leave (annual & public holidays and allowance for sickness & unforeseen circumstances). Study schedules can also be tailored to meet your needs. Morning, afternoon and evening timetable options are available.
- Domestic Students: Weekly starts from 16 January 2017
- International Students: Monthly starts.
Our Diploma in Advanced Software Development covers a wide range of material, including:
- Operating a database
- Designing and building a database
- Designing websites
- Introduction to Linux
- Program design concepts
- Programming concepts
- Unified Modelling Language
- Introduction to Microsoft Visual Studio
- Structured Query Language
- Program design and maintenance methods
- Java programming
- C# using Visual Studio
- Systems development practices
- Information systems analysis
- Accounting fundamentals
- Electronic accounting concepts
- Professional development program
- Employment preparation and planning
- Group development project
Major Qualification Goals
Upon completion of this IT qualification, students will be able to:
- Complete computing tasks and functions in a number of operating system environments.
- Code a well-structured solution to a problem in a variety of programming languages.
- Perform simple accounting functions including using an electronic accounting application.
- Analyse client requirements and design, develop, code and evaluate the appropriate business solution.
- Demonstrate communication, problem solving, time management, goal setting, planning and customer relation skills.
This qualification offers training towards these highly sought after internationally recognised IT certifications:
- Microsoft Programming in C#
- Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 7 Programmer
- Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 7 Programmer
What do I need to start?
- All Students: To gain entry to the qualification, applicants must undertake Computer Power Plus's Internal Aptitude (Entrance) Test and meet the required score level relevant to the qualification.
- Completed an IT Diploma at NZQA Level 4 or higher (or equivalent)
- International Students Only: An additional English language requirement must also be met - IELTS 5.5 (with no band less than 5.0) or equivalent. Testing must have taken place with two years of qualification commencement. Students may be exempt from IELTS requirements if they can provide clear evidence that satisfies one of NZQA’s criteria for existing English proficiency. <See NZQA website for more details. (Note: CPP is a category 2 provider)
This qualification can complement your existing skills and qualifications or provide further opportunities in your current role. It can also prepare you for a number of career opportunities including:
- Web Developer
- Business Systems Developer
- Database Developer
Future Career Possibilities
- Programming Specialist
- e-Commerce Specialist
- Systems Analyst
- Database Manager
- Analyst Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Contract Manager
- IT Manager
Programme Fees Guide
Fees include all campus based learning guides, texts, and access to resources, except
vendor certificate exams.
2017 Domestic Student Fees:
$10,163 + $500 enrolment fee
If you plan to pay your fees by Student Loan and/or apply for a Student Allowance, you need to apply online at www.studylink.govt.nz
and clicking on their APPLY NOW link. The application will work out what you are entitled to and will allow you to apply.
2017 International Student Fees:
NZ $27,670 + $500 enrolment fee (GST inclusive)
NOTE: Qualification fees are a guide only. Actual fees will depend on when a programme is started and what year the qualification is completed. If fees are increased in 2018, students may be required to pay the extra on any remaining courses of the programme that need to be completed beyond 2017.
How to Enrol
Apply to Enrol Online
Computer Power Plus specialises in IT training. You can study IT at one of our three training centres: Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch.